1. METHONI Duration of visit: 1 and a half hour
METHONI IS THE MOST BEAUTIFUL TOWN OF MESSINIA JUST 60 KM FROM KALAMATA
Methoni's lock - The lock constructed by Venetians at the beginning of the XIII century on the rocky cape is considered one of the largest locks in the Mediterranean. Strikes the stone bridge with 14 arches connecting the lock to the coast and built on a place of the wooden bridge which existed before appearance of Venetians here. The well-known symbol of Venice, Saint Mark's lion, is established over lock gate; there in stone walls reliefs, emblems, the coats of arms, inscriptions, huge gate remained, including the main gate it is necessary a ditch, and ruins of two Turkish baths.
At south part of the lock there's a strengthened island at the name of Burtizi and which during the Turkish occupation served as prison and a place of execution. It was constructed in 1500 and connected to the Sea gate of the lock a narrow paved track.
• To walk on the picturesque town of Methoni and to admire well remained local architecture.
• To visit the Saint Onufriya's catacombs constructed in rocks (2 km to the North from Metoni) and the Catholic monastery of Sacred Leon.
• To bathe on a fine beach near the lock, and also on Mavrovuni's beaches, Amnenomilos, Lutsa and Akritik.
• To visit the island of Sapiyents which is distinguished by the increased humidity. Here wild sheep of a kri-kra, a bird and other representatives of fauna are found, and also the reserved wood with tree strawberries grows. It is recommended to visit also stone beacon of the XIX century and an excellent sandy beach.
After driving 30 minutes from Methoni we will reach Koroni