Greece begins in and revolves around this city,one of the most ancient capitals of the western world. Cupped in a bowl on the west coast of Attica, with the mountains Aigaleo, Parnitha, Pendeli and Hymettus on three sides and the Saronic Gulf on the other, it forms one continuous city with the sea-port Piraeus and the suburbs. Athens was first inhabited some 6.000 years ago by Pelasgian and later bt Ionians, who found the great rock of the Acropolis a natural stronghold. As the city grew, it was dedicated and named after the Godness of Wisdom, Athena. It enjoyed its first flourishing period in the Mycenaean era (1600-1100 B.C.). At the end of the 6th century B.C. was overthrown and the democratic form of government which followed led to unprecedented achievements in the history of mankind. In the 5th century B.C. -the “golden age” of Athens- under the enlightened leadership of Pericles,Athens had its full development in the fields of culture, commerce and military strength. During the Hellenistic and the Byzantine periods Athens was a secondary city. After the Greek liberation from the Turks in 1834 it was proclaimed capital of Greece.
This tour includes a private vehicle with driver, and an English-speaking escort
• Please keep in mind that your English-speaking escort can enter in archeological sites with you but the tour for those will precede the visit. If you want a licensed-authorized guide to tour the sites with you, you can hire one at an extra cost.
• The price of this tour does not include any food, entrance fees, or gratuities.
• In SHARED tours the escort must maintain schedule for a fair and successful day for all.
• The Acropolis may only be accessed by walking uphill. It is a strenuous walk and you must be in good physical condition. There is a pathway, but there are also steps near the top.
• Use comfortable shoes and please keep in mind that the weather may be very hot during summer.
• There is a Special ticket package which includes the following archaeological sites: Acropolis, Ancient Agora, Roman Agora, Temple of Zeus and the price is 12€
The program for a full day excursion in the Athens, which lasts 8 hours, consists of visiting the following points (after driving 40 minutes from Piraeus port, where ships docked, to Athens):